Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today: 1.
Today 5:15 am - Worth a click
Today is Monday, Sept. 22, the 265th day of 2014. There are 100 days left in the year. Autumn arrives at 10:29 p.m. Eastern time.
Today 6:55 am - Worth a click
An exodus of top-level officials from the Department of Homeland Security is undercutting its ability to stay ahead of a range of emerging threats, including potential terrorist and cyber attacks, according to interviews with current and former officials.
Today - U.S.
- GOP moving to middle for midterms
In a midterm election year in which the political climate and map of battleground states clearly favors Republicans, many GOP candidates are nevertheless embracing some Democratic priorities in an effort to win over skeptical voters.Today - US-World politics
- Afghan leader named; vows to share powers
Former Finance Minister Ashraf Ghani was declared the winner of Afghanistan’s contested presidential election Sunday, setting the stage for President Hamid Karzai’s departure from office and a security agreement allowing American troops to remain in the country after this year.Today - World
- Rockefellers call for change
For 140 years, the Rockefellers were the oil industry’s first family, scions of a business empire that spawned companies called Exxon, Mobil, Amoco and Chevron. So it was no trivial matter when a group of Rockefeller heirs decided recently to begin severing financial ties to fossil fuels.Today - Science & Tech
- NASA craft begins Mars orbitToday - News
- Man seen with UVa student faces driving chargeToday 3:08 am - U.S.
- 3 Afghan soldiers missing from Cape Cod baseToday 3:10 am - U.S.
- 32 structures destroyed in California wildfireToday 3:11 am - U.S.
- Egypt militants claim blast near foreign ministryToday 3:19 am - World
- Affluence eludes poor crowding into Asian citiesToday 5:10 am - World
- China says 2 killed, many injured in explosionsToday 3:03 am - World
- WEATHER JOURNALToday - Weather
- This Week in the Civil WarToday - U.S.
- LotteriesToday - News
- Security breach prompts more White House securitySunday - U.S.
- German families to sue Ukraine over MH17 crash Sunday - World
- White House intruder identified as Army veteranSunday - U.S.
- Jihad gives direction to Americans adriftSunday - World
- Obama’s budget chief sees costs for climate inactionSunday - U.S.